Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 1 pm EST Thursday.
- Locations: along and north of a line from Carrollton to Atlanta to Washington.
- Hazard types: A wintry mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain.
- Accumulations: will range today from little to none across most of the Atlanta metro due to surface temps above freezing. Across North Fulton, expect light accumulations possibly totaling a half an inch. More substantial accumulations will be realized from Rome to north of Athens where up to two inches will fall through this evening with locally higher amounts across North Floyd. For tonight through Wednesday night, an additional 2 to 4 inches of snow is possible in addition to a quarter to a half inch of ice accumulation. The higher ice amounts are expected to be across the eastern portions of the area in the Wednesday to Wednesday night time frame.
- Timing: snow and sleet this morning along and north of the Rome to Athens Line will transition into mostly rain this afternoon and then back to a snow/sleet/freezing rain overnight and then become predominately a snow/freezing rain mix Wednesday and then transition to snow Wednesday night. For the Metro and surrounding locations a mix of rain, sleet and snow today. As temperatures cool tonight, accumulating snow and ice will be more likely as a mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain continues. By Wednesday morning, this will transition to freezing rain and then to mainly snow Wednesday night.
- Impacts: snow will accumulate on roads making for hazardous driving conditions today across the northern sections and tonight for all areas. As the more significant snowfall and ice accumulation occurs Wednesday and Wednesday night, travel will be dangerous given the high snow amounts combined with the ice. Widespread power outages are possible with the higher ice accumulation.
- Winds: northeast 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
- Temperatures: in the mid 30s Today, Lower 30s tonight and Wednesday and Upper 20s to lower 30s Wednesday night.
- A winter weather event including 1) snow, ice, or sleet meeting or exceeding locally defined 12 and/or 24 hour warning criteria; or 2) a combination of snow, ice, or sleet and blowing snow with at least one of the precipitation elements meeting or exceeding locally defined 12 and/or 24 hour warning criteria.